Monday, September 15, 2008

Chart 028:The Social Events of January 2008


Like Paul Druecke's project, A Social Event Archive, the main question, before the other main question, is this: What is a social event?

I never came up with a concrete definition. A social event has to have the element of interacting with another person. That's pretty broad. I limited it in uncertain terms: did I know that person? how long did the social event last? In both regards, a wrong phone call or a call from a telemarketer do not make the list.

For the purposes of this chart, which is the first timeI've seriously confronted this data, I consolidated a bunch of social events under the heading "hangin' out." This included iChat conversations with my long distance girlfriend, playing Mario Kart Wii on-line, watching TV with my roommate, and a few others.

One of the results of this chart is immediately seeing, to me, glaring inaccuracies. It seems that on the 19th and 20th, all I did was play Scrabble. That's partly true (those were the dates of the annual Twin Cities Redeye Scrabble Tournament), but I do know that I had at least two meals with fellow gamesters between sessions of Scrabble play, and that there were some "hangin' out" time in the few hours when we weren't playing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

um - excuse me ... nerd here ... didn't mario kart wii come out in April? or do you just mean that you are keeping track of these types of things now (and January's results actually have no Mario Kart Wii data added to the "hangin' out" portion?

now let me get back to painting my metal miniatures

4:42 PM  
Blogger Cumulonimbus said...

doh! yes, we weren't playing Mario Kart then, we were just playing Wii Sports! (In my spreed sheet, I saw the notation "Wii" and immediately just thought of MK Wii. BTW, I've taken many hits over the last late nights. I finished last night under 8000.)

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just lost connection in an 11 person race - dropped more than 300 points on a race I was in second place for and was probably going to win -

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<->